Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Modern Tech + Weddings = Magic.

The D700 is my favorite camera of all time. Although, I've always used older Nikon glass with it. I use the 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.4 as my walkaround lenses, and the 80-200mm f/2.8 AFS as my main telephoto. Not that there's anything wrong with that, they are great lenses.

But they lack that special something.

At the wedding I shot this weekend, I finally rented and spent some time with the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8. I must say, they blew my mind on how good they were. I never knew lenses could focus so fast, and stay so sharp. They are very resistant to flare as well.

Here are some samples of what I'm talking about in terms of sharpness.


100% crop

D700 + 24-70mm 2.8 @ 2.8, 1/500, ISO 2000 +1.10 EV in post.

Look at the micro-contrast! It's insane!

I am thoroughly impressed, definitely a keeper.

Note: I'm not advocating that sharpness or lens is a determinant of how good a photo is. It's totally not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can take the same shot with a Holga and it would still look hawt (at least to my eyes).

No comments:

Post a Comment